April 25, 1947: The White House Bowling Alley Opens
On this day in 1947, President Truman inaugurated the two-lane White House bowling alley.
Although Truman did not play much (he was more into poker), he helped start the White House Bowling League. The bowlers included Secret Service agents and groundskeepers. Unfortunately, the alley was closed in 1955, but a new one was built in the Eisenhower Building.
Love bowling? Check out Independent Lens’ “Bowling through the Decades” timeline .
Images (top to bottom): View from the end of the bowling alley in the White House 1948, bowling alley in the White House 1948, long view of the bowling alley in the White House 1948 (Truman Library/National Archives).